Hotmail by MSN is a popular email service that boasts of robust security features, and easy to navigate interface. It offers free of cost web-based email accounts that come with filtering features and junk detection. It also has secure log-in and automatically scans any outgoing or incoming attachments for viruses. Hotmail is also pretty amazing at offering its users with ways to recover their account. Considering how forgetful people might be, especially at remembering passwords and passcodes for several accounts, Hotmail allows users to recover their accounts in case they forget the Hotmail password. Let’s check out how to recover Hotmail account when you forget the password.
How to Recover Hotmail Account on Desktop
Here are the steps that will help you with your Hotmail account recovery on desktop.
- Get started by opening a web browser on the screen.
- After that, you need to open the Hotmail email. Just visit outlook.live.com.
- Click on the Sign In button at the top right of the screen.
- Enter the Hotmail email address and click on the Next button
- In the Enter Password screen, click on the Forgot password? Link.
- In the new window that opens, click on I forgot my password. It is the first option.
- After selecting why you cannot sign in, click on the Next button.
- The Hotmail account recovery screen will open.
- Now, you need to type your Hotmail email address.
- After that, type the characters you see on the screen. The code will be written below the email address field.
- You may click on New for generating another code.
- To listen to the code, click on Audio.
- After entering the email and captcha, click on the Next button located at the bottom right.
- You now need to choose how you
wish to reset the password. You will get two options:
- In case you do not have a registered alternate phone number, then you will only be given one option ie email.
- In case you have neither added a backup email address not a phone number, then you need to click on I do not have any of these. Click on the Next button, type a backup email address and then follow the guidelines on the screen to regain access to your Hotmail account.
- Now, you need to type either the
alternate email ID or your phone number.
- If you have selected email, then input the complete email address.
- If you have opted for Text, then input the final four numerical digitals of the number.
- Click on the blue-colored Send code button located at the lower right corner of the screen. Doing so will enable you to get a recovery code to help you reset the account password.
- Now, you need to retrieve the code. In case you opted for email, you need to go to the inbox of the alternate email account, open the mail you got from Microsoft and copy the code. Those who opted for text, need to check their text messages, open the one from Microsoft and copy the code provided in the text.
- Carefully type the code that you received via email or text.
- After that, click on the Next button located at the lower right corner.
- Now, you need to create a new password for your Hotmail account. Ensure that it has at least eight characters.
- Enter the same password again for confirmation.
- Click on the Next button.
- Now, you can log in to your Hotmail account using the new password.
Process for Hotmail Account Recovery On Mobile Devices
Follow the instructions listed here and learn the process of recovering your Hotmail account on your mobile device.
- Get started by launching Outlook. Simply tap on its icon. It is white and blue in color.
- Now, you need to tap on getting Started. You may skip this in case you have logged in to Outlook before.
- Now, you need to type the email address of your Hotmail account.
- Tap on the Add Account button. It is located beneath the email address option.
- Now the password entry screen will open.
- You need to touch on the Forgotten my password link below the Enter Password option.
- Now, three options shall show up on the screen:
- I have forgotten my password
- I know my account password but cannot log in.
- I think somebody else is using my Hotmail account.
- Select the first option and tap on the Next button.
- Now, you need to type the characters shown on the screen.
- You may click on audio to listen to the code and then enter it.
- To generate a new code, click on New.
- Note: Ensure that the characters are case sensitive.
- Tap on the Next button.
- Select how you would like to recover your account.
- You can either select Email or Text.
- In case you have not yet added a backup phone number, then you will only get one option: email.
- In case you have not registered any backup email address or contact number, then you need to select I do not have any of these, tap on Next, input the backup email address and follow the instructions on your screen. This might help you with Hotmail account recovery.
- Now you need to verify your identity.
- For verification, you need to type the recovery email ID or phone number.
- Simply tap on the text bar located beneath the selected recovery option. After that, type the complete email or the final four digits of the recovery phone number.
- Tap on the Send Code button. This option is located at the bottom right corner of the verify your identity screen. Hitting this button will enable you to get an account recovery code via email or text.
- You now need to get the recovery code. If you have opted for an email, then go to the inbox of the recovery email ID and open the message from the Microsoft account team. If you have opted for text, then you need to open the Messages, select the message from Microsoft and copy the recovery code.
- Now, enter the recovery code that you received via email or text. Make sure that you type the verification code correctly. Tap on the Next button at the bottom right.
- In case you have entered the correct code, the Hotmail account password reset screen will appear.
- Here you need to type a new password. Ensure that the password has at least eight characters and note that the text box is case sensitive.
- Re-enter the same password in the next blank and tap on the Next button.
- Again when the prompt comes, tap on the Next button.
- Now the sign-in screen will appear.
- You can log into your Hotmail account using the newly changed password.
Now that you know how to recover a Hotmail account on desktop and mobile, you can easily get access to it even when you cannot remember its password. Keep changing the password from time to time and ensure that you set a strong password for your account. In case you have a hard time remembering passwords, then you can simply use any password manager app.