Hotmail is one of the longest standing email services provided by Microsoft. As technology has advanced, so has the way we use Hotmail. Hotmail can be used for numerous services ranging from emails to cloud storage. But what happens when all your data and storage is locked when you forget your password or inevitably your account is hacked or due to some other technical issue and you are not able to access your Microsoft account. This is where changing your Hotmail password helps in recovering your account. Given below is a list of hacks to change your Hotmail password in different situations.
When do you need to change your Hotmail password?
Microsoft has brought forth a transition in the way we use Hotmail. To promote user-friendliness and ease of access, all Microsoft services can be accessed using a single account through the web under the title “Microsoft accounts”. This makes it easy to change the password for your Hotmail account when needed as well. Here is a list of circumstances when changing the password for Hotmail arises.
Phone number related:
When travelling overseas, one of the major drawbacks related to having a Microsoft account is related to the phone number authentication. If you have a two-factor authorization setup this poses a big problem while accessing your Hotmail account. Hence, you are forced to change your Hotmail password.
The Hotmail account is not accessible:
In a situation where you are not able to access your Hotmail, either because you have forgotten your password or due to some technical issue, changing the Hotmail password seems like the hassle-free option to get access to your account.
The Hotmail account is hacked/spammed:
When in a situation when you type in the right password but can’t seem to get in, your Hotmail account might
be hacked. Other signs of your account being hacked include suspicious activities such as emails from your
account which you did not send yourself. In such situations, account recovery through Microsoft support is the best option.
How to change Hotmail password: PC/laptop:
The first towards recovering your Hotmail account is by changing the password through these simple steps.
Direct approach To Change Your Hotmail Password
- In this approach, once you reach the login screen you will see a “can’t access your account?” link given directly below the login box.
- After clicking this link, you will be led to the Microsoft account reset password menu box. Here you are required to enter your Hotmail id and captcha.
- The next step is a set of password reset options. One option requires your recovery email id, where a password reset link is mailed. Another option is a recovery code sent to your phone number.
- If none of the above methods seem to work, the next step is to click on the link highlighted as “I can’t use any of these options”
An indirect approach to change your Hotmail Password
When none of the direct methods to recover or reset your passwords work, click on the link highlighted as “I can’t use any of these options”. This will lead you to a dialogue box titled “recover your Microsoft account”. Here, you have an option to provide an alternate email Id and the password reset link is sent here. You are also required to fill a verification form for security purposes. After you have filled the form, Microsoft support services send an email to your recovery account with a security question which you will have to answer correctly to recover your Hotmail account.
Changing Hotmail password via Outlook.com:
This method is when you want to simply change your password. This is the most effortless method to change your Hotmail password.
- The first step is to log in to your account on the outlook.com website.
- On the upper right corner, there is a “gear icon”. Clicking this will open a drop-down menu. Click the “more mail” settings.
- This leads to more options drop-down menu. On this click the “Accounts (password, addresses, time zone)
- Hereunder the “Password and security info” click the change password option.
Note: Changing the password here will result in password change for all your Microsoft related accounts.
How to change Hotmail password on iPad:
With the new advancement in Microsoft, a single account can be used for everything and from everywhere. This allows you to access the account from multiple devices. Hotmail can be downloaded as an app and can be used on any phone. Changing the password on the iPad is pretty simple. Here are the steps to be followed:
- First, locate the settings app on your iPad/iPhone and then scroll down to the “Mail, Contacts, Calendars”. Click on this and go to accounts.
- The next step is to turn on the Mail, Contact, Calendars, and Reminders setting and select the email address (password) you want to change.
- In this, scroll down to the “password section” and select the current password and erase it.
- You can now enter a new password in the box that appears.
- After you are done changing, select the done on the top right corner to save your settings.
- This same method can be applied for the iPhone as well
Note: Alternative method to change Hotmail password for iPad is to go to Outlook website and login to your account and do the necessary steps to change password covered in the previous section.
Summary: Changing the password for your Hotmail account is an easy step to recover your Hotmail account. Following the steps above highlights the ease with which one can access account across any device/model. But to keep your count safe it is advised to keep changing your password from time to time and also to activate the two-factor authentication.
In any case, the above-mentioned methods do not work, your Hotmail account is as good as lost forever. Changing your password for Hotmail often.